February 18, 2009

Needlepoint Transcends Time

I would never think of needlepoint as avant garde but then again....
Let's start with something historical. This is a samler from July 18 1793 by a 13 year old named Mary Bagshaw. Samlers are a crucial part of a girls education in the 18th century. This sold at Sloans & Kenyon auction house for $1000.

Now to something a little more contemporary and cool.



An awesome pencil case from Jonathan Adler. I want this for grad school!
Below: A change purse which I've featured before. From Jonathan Adler or piecesinc.com. I really really want this.




Way too cool for me... a ipod carrying-case and a cell phone carrier. I don't have an ipod and my cell phone is so old I look like Zack from Saved By the Bell.



1 comment:

Laura said...

I do counted cross stitch on linen and I think you should take a field trip to a really nice needlepoint shop and see what beautiful designs are out there. True, there are many patterns out there for people who like to stitch fairies and grapevines and dogs, but there are some really classy companies out there, too. I love having the texture on my walls.