February 13, 2009

Bunny Williams Top 5 Lessons

Completely stolen from Domino magazine, NYC based interior designer's top 5 lessons.... all of which I support.

1. Color should be complicated. Break out of the rigidly coordinated schemes that most people rely on. Instead, build on a base of varied neutrals, and add dashes of boldness throughout. Think Impressionism, not paint by numbers. (I think we're all guilty of this, including me.)

2. Matching is for beginners. Distinct eras and materials are better when blended. If I have an antique wooden chest, I'll put a steel lamp on top. That's why I think oft his as a collection, not a line - the styles aren't identical but complementary.

3. Buy with the future in mind. Consider larger items like sofas, as quality backdrops, not the stars of the show. That way you don't get sick of them as your taste changes. (A great place to get beautiful classic sofas is Brian's work, Sloans & Kenyon. You can get a gorgeous sofa frame for a STEAL.)

4. Keep an eye on scale. It's okay if your husband needs his oversized armchair, but balance it with leggy chairs and benches. And when it comes to to hanging art on the walls, the bigger the better. ( I agree!!! There is nothing I want to stress more in this blog then the important of scale. Often furniture sold at C&B and Pottery Barn is huge and built for cheaply built mcmansions.)

5. When in doubt add gold. I always search out shiny things when I'm browsing flea markets. Every room needs a little sparkle. (Agreed.)

2 comments:

South Paw said...

Thanks for this helpful post. I am infant in terms of knowledge in this area, so many thanks.-Clare Mc

Ellen Connolly said...

What do you mean by getting a sofa frame? DOes that mean you need to have it upholstered? I need a sleep sofa... would they have them there...

And i agree with you abt some sofas at C&B. and lots of their furniture is particle board... def not worth the $$$$ price tags.