May 31, 2009

A School Year's Worth of Work

So my first teaching year is coming to a close and I wanted to highlight 2 of the grandest projects we did.

1st up: 7th grade girls paper maiche animals. This project took a ENTIRE semester so I don't recommend doing this. I could possibly be fired over this project since my girls have nothing else to show from January to June. Regardless here is the fruit of my labor.


Above: A purple frog- all is paper maiched- even the tounge.

Above: Lion- adorable!

Above: A shot of some of the classes work.

Next: My 4th grade. If there was one class that was my most challenging it was 4th. We started with empty food containers, coffee cans, pretzels jars... etc... we painted them brown and decorated them with totem pole faces. The idea was a teacher at the school who previously taught at the Lab School and she wanted to do an art project that tied in the 4th grades study of Native American culture. We installed these around the school. A pretty easy project. Hard part- getting the parents to send in containers.
One day when I'm drunk I'll tell you all about the nasty emails I got from parents who were pissed I asked them to send in a container.
In total there were about 6 totem poles around the school.










2 comments:

Ellen Connolly said...

Very Very cool, Grace. Congrats on your first year done. These 2 projects look awesome. I bet your students loved doing them. Good work and thanks for sharing!

CUETO said...

these are AWESOME!!!