May 21, 2009

I've Had a Fever Lately....

And the only cure is making crafts!
I wish I was kidding but no... I am that lame.
I have also had like a three-week craving for mexican food but luckily my griddle and some cheese and beans have satisfied that urge.
Back to the crafts, so I have been having insaitabe urges to create things lately so here are some things I have made in the past week:




At BS- where I teach we are in need of better water cups for the kids to clean their brushes when painting. I dug up some old coffee cans, painted and collaged them and then sealed them with polyurothane (my second husband) and voile! Adorable art-themed water cups. The first is decorated with some bulldogs I downloaded, cut out and loosely watercolored blue (the schools colors and mascot). The second I traced a Matisse cut-out work, traced it onto painted blue paper (wasn't about to go buy blue construction paper) and voile! Instant Matisse-themed water cup. Double learning for the kids- art history, art recognition and cleaning their brushes. I should get a raise.

Next up for my darling daughter who is about to switch to a big girl bed (when it arrives in early June) a pillow made out of a Whole Foods bag. We bought a bunch of these Clementine bags when she was first born because it was just freaking weird that this was the bag Whole Foods was selling when we had her. I put some away so she could have them as a teenager and my dear sweet husband broke off one of the handles. We were about to throw it away the other day and then this idea hit right in the forehead. Clem could care less about the pillow. It's got brown piping to tie the whole look together.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Grace, that is really cool! I just got a sewing machine and made a dress for Charlotte, but it looks a bit like something out of little house on the prairie.

Celina said...

Love this idea and i'm totally going to copy it - pillows are totally expensive and this is so doable on the inexpensive!